- B. S., Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 1978
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1982
- 1974 - Presidential Scholar
- 1977 - Donald S. Clark Award (Cal Tech)
- 1984-89 - Presidential Young Investigator
- 1985 - Outstanding Young Men of America
- 1986-90 - Who's Who in the East
- 1992 - Who's Who in the East
- 1994 - Chair, Chemistry at Interfaces, Gordon Research Conference
- 1995 - ASEE Curtis W. McGraw Research Award
- 1995 - Visiting Professor, Universität Graz
- 1998 ACS Delaware Section Award
- 1998 - ACS Award in Colloid or Surface Chemistry
- 1999 - Co-Chair, Supramolecular Chemistry, Gordon Research Conference
- 2001 - AAAS Fellow
- 2001 - Ashton Cary Lecturer, Georgia Tech
- 2002 - Chilton Award, Wilmington AIChE Section
- 2005 - Chemical Society of Japan Division of Colloid and Surface Chemistry's Lectureship Award
- 2005 - E. Arthur Trabant Institutional Award for Women's Equity
- 2006 - Kash Mittal Award from the Surfactants in Solution Symposium
- 2006 - Chair, Colloidal, Macromolecular & Polyelectrolyte Solutions, Gordon Research Conference
- 2010 - Member of National Academy of Engineering
- 2010 - Fellow, American Chemical Society
Almost all engineering processes involve the transport of material
across an interface. These interfacial regions are characterized by
changes of composition or density over length scales comparable to
Similarly, the composition and structure of a single phase can
vary markedly over small distances. Examples are liquid crystals,
microemulsions and micelles, some polymeric solutions, vesicles,
emulsions, and protein dispersions. The physical properties of such
complex fluids make them useful in a multitude of applications. The
best use of these materials, however, requires knowledge of the
arrangement of the material structure on a molecular scale.
With the goal of developing such an understanding, we have studied
several microemulsions, micelles, and vesicular dispersions as well
as concentrated colloidal suspensions. The main focus of our work
was experimental, but also involved substantial theoretical and
- "Calorimetric Study of the Adsorption of Poly(ethylene oxide)
and Poly(vinyl pyrrolidone) onto Cationic Nanoparticles,"
N.L. McFarlane, N.J. Wagner, E.W. Kaler, and M.L. Lynch,
Langmuir, 26, 6262 (2010).
- "Kinetic Model of Reversible Addition-Fragmentation Chain
Transfer Polymerization in Microemulsions," J. O'Donnell and
E.W. Kaler, J. Poly. Sci. A, 48, 604 (2010).
- "Reversible Addition-Fragmentation Chain Transfer in
Microemulsions: Effect of Chain Transfer Agent Aqueous
Solubility" J. O'Donnell and E.W. Kaler, Macromolecules, 43,
- "Rheology and spatially resolved structure of
cetyltrimethylammonium bromide wormlike micelles through the
shear banding transition," M. E. Helgeson, P. A. Vasquez, E.
W. Kaler, and N. J. Wagner, J. Rheology, 53, 727 (2009).
- "Phase Behavior and Microstructure Evolution in Aqueous
Mixtures of Cetyltrimethylammonium Bromide and Sodium
Dodecyl Tri-oxyethylene Sulfate," P.A. Hassan, T.K. Hodgdon,
M. Sagasaki, G. Fritz-Popovski, and E.W. Kaler, Comptes
Rendus Chimie, 12, 18 (2009).
- "Microstructure and Shear Rheology of Entangled Wormlike
Micelles in Solution," M.W. Liberatore, F. Nettesheim,
P.A.Vasquez, M.E. Helgeson, N.J. Wagner, E.W. Kaler, L.P.
Cook, L. Porcar, and Y. Hu, J. Rheology, 53, 441 (2009).
- "Comparative Effects of Salt, Organic, and Polymer Precipitants
on Protein Phase Behavior and Implications for Vapor
Diffusion," A.C. Dumetz, A.M. Chockla, E.W. Kaler, and A.M.
Lenhoff, Crystal Growth & Design, 9, 682 (2009).
- "Tuning intermicellar potential of Triton X-100-anthranilic acid
mixed micelles," G. Verma, V.K. Aswal, S.K. Kulshreshtha, C.
Manohar, P.A. Hassan, and E.W. Kaler, Pramana: Journal of
Physics, 71, 997 (2008).
- "Binding of Alkyl Polyglucoside Surfactants to
Bacteriorhodopsin and its Relation to Protein Stability," M.
G. Santonicola, A. M. Lenhoff, and E. W. Kaler, Biophysical
Journal, 94, 3647 (2008).
- "Effects of pH on protein-protein interactions and implications
for protein phase behavior," A.C. Dumetz, A.M. Chockla, E.W.
Kaler, and A.M. Lenhoff, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 1784, 600
- "Influence of Nanoparticle Addition on the Properties of
Wormlike Micellar Solutions", F. Nettesheim, M.W. Liberatore,
T.K. Hodgdon, N.J. Wagner, E.W. Kaler, and M. Vethamuthu
M, Langmuir, 24, 7718 (2008).
- "Polarization and Interactions of Colloidal Particles in AC
Electric Fields", M. Mittal, P.P. Lele, E.W. Kaler, and E.M. Furst,
J. Chem. Phys., 129, #064513 (2008).
- "Microstructure Evolution and Monomer Partitioning
in Reversible Addition-Fragmentation Chain Transfer
Microemulsion Polymerization," J. O'Donnell and E.W. Kaler,
Macromolecules, 41, 6094 (2008).