- Flannigan research featured in Journal of Materials Research special issue
- Groundbreaking CEMS research published in Nature Communications
- Flannigan research featured in Chemistry of Materials editorial for Up-and-Coming series
- Flannigan research in "Up-and-Coming Series" of Chemistry of Materials
- World's first FEI Tecnai Femto ultrafast electron microscope to be installed at University of Minnesota for Flannigan research
- Flannigan named 2015 Beckman Young Investigator
Our research program deals broadly with the experimental elucidation of non-equilibrium electronic and structural dynamics of inorganic, organic, and biological materials with atomic-scale spatial and femtosecond temporal resolutions. To achieve this, we use ultrafast four-dimensional electron microscopy (UEM). With UEM, we bring together the high spatial resolution of transmission electron microscopy with the ultrafast temporal resolution of short-pulsed lasers. We are able to directly visualize, in real-time, a wide variety of phenomena, including how crystal lattices respond to the excitation and relaxation of charge-carriers, the collective and coherent motions of lattices at the unit cell level, the real-space dynamics of nanoscale architectures and the effects of interfacial forces, and the effects of charge-transfer reactions on structure. Our group is highly interdisciplinary and collaborative, and our interests are broad, having foundations in materials science and engineering, chemistry, and physics. Our current interests are in three related but distinct areas: (1) energy transport and conversion in defect-laden materials, (2) structural dynamics, phase transitions, and energy transport properties of strongly-correlated materials, and (3) in situ TEM of laser-induced phase transformations and magnetic switching phenomena. The unifying goal of our work is to understand how atomic structure and dynamics lead to the emergence of bulk properties in materials, and how fundamental ultrafast processes of energy coupling occur on the nanoscale.
- Beckman Young Investigtor Award, 2015-2019
- McKnight Land-Grant Professor, 2014-2016
- ACS PRF Doctoral New Investigator Grant, 2012-2014
- 3M Nontenured Faculty Award, 2013-2016
- Phi Kappa Phi Love of Learning Award, 2012, 2013
- Schliep, K. B.; Chen, J.-Y.; Li, M.; Wang, J.-P.; Flannigan, D. J. Laser-Initiated Magnetization Reversal and Correlated Morphological Effects Visualized with In Situ Fresnel Transmission Electron Microscopy. Phys. Rev. B 2016, 94, 104407. (Featured in Physical Review B Kaleidoscope)
- Suri, P. K.; Yan, J.; Mandrus, D. G.; Flannigan, D. J. Dynamical Scattering and Electron Channeling in Orthorhombic and Tetragonal LaFeAsO. J. Phys. Chem. C 2016, 120, 18931.
- Plemmons, D. A.; Flannigan, D. J. Discrete Chromatic Aberrations Arising from Photoinduced Electron-Photon Interactions in Ultrafast Electron Microscopy. J. Phys. Chem. A 2016, 120, 3539. (Cover article)
- Cremons, D. R.; Plemmons, D. A.; Flannigan, D. J. Femtosecond Electron Imaging of Defect-Modulated Phonon Dynamics. Nature Commun. 2016, 7, 11230.
- Cremons, D. R.; Flannigan, D. J. Direct In Situ Thermometry: Variations in Reciprocal-Lattice Vectors and Challenges with the Debye-Waller Effect. Ultramicroscopy 2016, 161, 10.
- Jiang, Y.; Liu, J.; Suri, P. K.; Thadhani, N. N.; Flannigan, D. J.; Wang, J.-P. Preparation of an α"-Fe16N2 Magnet via a Ball Milling and Shock Compaction Approach. Adv. Eng. Mater. 2016, 18, 1009.
- Shore, D.; Pailloux, S. L.; Zhang, J.; Gage, T.; Flannigan, D. J.; Garwood, M.; Pierre, V. C.; Stadler, B. J. H. Electrodeposited Fe and Fe-Au Nanowires as MRI Contrast Agents. Chem. Commun. 2016, 52, 12634.
- Flannigan, D. J.; Cremons, D. R.; Valley, D. T. Multimodal Visualization of the Optomechanical Response of Silicon Cantilevers with Ultrafast Electron Microscopy. J. Mater. Res. 2016, Special Issue: Early Career Scholars in Materials Science.
- Kieft, E.; Schliep, K. B.; Suri, P. K.; Flannigan, D. J. Effects of Thermionic-Gun Parameters on Operating Modes in Ultrafast Electron Microscopy. Struct. Dyn. 2015, 2, 051101.
- Plemmons, D. A.; Suri, P. K.; Flannigan, D. J. Probing Structural and Electronic Dynamics with Ultrafast Electron Microscopy. Chem. Mater. 2015, 27, 3178. (Invited, Up-and-Coming Series)
- Plemmons, D. A.; Park, S. T.; Zewail, A. H.; Flannigan, D. J. Characterization of Fast Photoelectron Packets in Weak and Strong Laser Fields in Ultrafast Electron Microscopy. Ultramicroscopy 2014, 146, 97.