The research currently underway in the group centers around questions in polymer physics and microfluidic/nanofluidic technologies. We are particularly interested in understanding the dynamics of DNA in confined systems, which allows us to simultaneously investigate the basic physical properties of semiflexible polymers while advancing genomics applications. In this area, we use a combination of experimental tools (fluorescence microscopy and nanofabrication), simulations (Brownian dynamics and Monte Carlo) and theory. We are also involved in collaborations on block polymers (with Frank Bates), adsorption of polymers in flow (with Satish Kumar), mechanics of basement membrane (with Victor Barocas and Yoav Segal), dynamics of the bacteria nucleoid (with Pietro Cicuta, Marco Cosentino Lagomarsino and Bianca Sclavi), and the design of advanced microdevices (with David Norris and C. Dan Frisbie).
- AES Electrophoresis Society Mid-Career Award, 2014
- Allan P. Colburn Award of the AIChE, 2012
- Guillermo E. Borja Award, 2012
- Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award, 2010
- DARPA Young Faculty Award, 2009
- Packard Fellowship in Science and Engineering, 2007
- NSF CAREER Award, 2007
- Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation New Faculty Award, 2006
- Human Frontier Science Program Career Development Award, 2006
- Douglas R. Tree, Wesley F. Reinhart and Kevin D. Dorfman, The Odijk Regime in Slits. Macromolecules 47, 3672-3684 (2014).
- Avelino Javer, Nathan J. Kuwada, Zhicheng Long, Vicenzo G. Benza, Kevin D. Dorfman, Paul A. Wiggins, Pietro Cicuta and Marco Cosentino Lagomarsino, Persistent Super-Diffusive Motion of E. coli Chromosomal Loci. Nature Communications 5, 3854 (2014).
- Damini Gupta, Julian Sheats, Abhiram Muralidhar, Jeremy J. Miller, Derek E. Huang, Sara Mahshid, Kevin D. Dorfman and Walter Reisner, Mixed Confinement Regimes during Equilibrium Confinement Spectroscopy of DNA. Journal of Chemical Physics 140, 214901 (2014)
- Abhiram Muralidhar, Douglas R. Tree, Yanwei Wang and Kevin D. Dorfman, Interplay Between Chain Stiffness and Excluded Volume of Semiflexible Polymers Confined in Nanochannels. Journal of Chemical Physics 140, 084905 (2014).
- Liang Dai, Douglas R. Tree, Johan R. C. van der Maarel, Kevin D. Dorfman and Patrick S. Doyle, Revisiting Blob Theory for DNA Diffusivity in Slitlike Confinement. Physical Review Letters 110, 168105 (2013).
- Douglas R. Tree, Yanwei Wang and Kevin D. Dorfman, Extension of DNA in a Nanochannel as a Rod-to-Coil Transition. Physical Review Letters 110, 208103 (2013).
- Kevin D. Dorfman, Scott B. King, Daniel W. Olson, Joel D. P. Thomas and Douglas R. Tree, Beyond Gel Electrophoresis: Microfluidic Separations, Fluorescence Burst Analysis, and DNA Stretching. Chemical Reviews 113, 2584-2667 (2013).
- Avelino Javer, Zhicheng Long, Eileen Nugent, Marco Grisi, Kamin Siriwatwetchakul, Kevin D. Dorfman, Pietro Cicuta and Marco Cosentino Lagomarsino, Short-time Movement of E. Coli Chromosomal Loci Depends on Coordinate and Subcellular Localization. Nature Communications 4, 3003 (2013).
- Douglas R. Tree, Abhiram Muralidhar, Patrick S. Doyle and Kevin D. Dorfman, Is DNA a Good Model Polymer? Macromolecules 46, 8369–8382 (2013).
- Zhicheng Long, Eileen Nugent, Avelino Javer, Pietro Cicuta, Bianca Sclavi, Marco Cosentino Lagomarsino and Kevin D. Dorfman, Microfluidic Chemostat for Measuring Single Cell Dynamics in Bacteria. Lab on a Chip 13, 947-954 (2013).