- Flannigan co-editor of MRS Bulletin, "Ultrafast Imaging of Materials Dynamics"
- Flannigan wins Sigma Xi 2018 Young Investigator Award
- Flannigan named McKnight Presidential Fellow
- Flannigan selected for George Taylor Career Development Award
- Flannigan research featured in Journal of Materials Research special issue
- Groundbreaking CEMS research published in Nature Communications
- Flannigan research featured in Chemistry of Materials editorial for Up-and-Coming series
- Flannigan research in "Up-and-Coming Series" of Chemistry of Materials
- World's first FEI Tecnai Femto ultrafast electron microscope to be installed at University of Minnesota for Flannigan research
- Flannigan wins 2017 DOE Early Career Award
- CHATS with Professor David Flannigan
- Flannigan named 2015 Beckman Young Investigator
Our research program deals broadly with the experimental elucidation of non-equilibrium electronic and structural dynamics of inorganic, organic, and biological materials with atomic-scale spatial and femtosecond temporal resolutions. To achieve this, we use ultrafast four-dimensional electron microscopy (UEM). With UEM, we bring together the high spatial resolution of transmission electron microscopy with the ultrafast temporal resolution of short-pulsed lasers. We are able to directly visualize, in real-time, a wide variety of phenomena, including how crystal lattices respond to the excitation and relaxation of charge-carriers, the collective and coherent motions of lattices at the unit cell level, the real-space dynamics of nanoscale architectures and the effects of interfacial forces, and the effects of charge-transfer reactions on structure. Our group is highly interdisciplinary and collaborative, and our interests are broad, having foundations in materials science and engineering, chemistry, and physics. Our current interests are in three related but distinct areas: (1) energy transport and conversion in defect-laden materials, (2) structural dynamics, phase transitions, and energy transport properties of strongly-correlated materials, and (3) in situ TEM of laser-induced phase transformations and magnetic switching phenomena. The unifying goal of our work is to understand how atomic structure and dynamics lead to the emergence of bulk properties in materials, and how fundamental ultrafast processes of energy coupling occur on the nanoscale.
- Sigma Xi Young Investigator Award, 2018
- McKnight Presidential Fellowship, 2018
- George W. Taylor Career Development Award, 2018
- DOE Early Career Award, 2017
- NSF CAREER Award, 2017
- Beckman Young Investigator Award, 2015
- McKnight Land-Grant Assistant Professor, 2014
- 3M Nontenured Faculty Award, 2013
- VandenBussche, E. J.; Flannigan, D. J. Sources of Error in Debye-Waller-Effect Measurements Relevant to Studies of Photoinduced Structural Dynamics. Ultramicroscopy 2019, 196, 111.
- Flannigan, D. J.*; Lindenberg, A. M.* Atomic-Scale Imaging of Ultrafast Materials Dynamics. MRS Bull. 2018, 43, 485.
- Flannigan, D. J. Electrons Film Phonon Dynamics in Full. Physics 2018, 11, 53.
- Cremons, D. R.; Du, D. X.; Flannigan, D. J. Picosecond Phase-Velocity Dispersion of Hypersonic Phonons Imaged with Ultrafast Electron Microscopy. Phys. Rev. Mater. 2017, 1, 073801.
- Schliep, K. B.; Quarterman, P.; Wang, J.-P.; Flannigan, D. J. Picosecond Fresnel Transmission Electron Microscopy. Appl. Phys. Lett. 2017, 110, 222404.
- McKenna, A. J.; Eliason, J. K.; Flannigan, D. J. Spatiotemporal Evolution of Coherent Elastic Strain Waves in a Single MoS2 Flake. Nano Lett. 2017, 17, 3952.
- Cremons, D. R.; Plemmons, D. A.; Flannigan, D. J. Defect-Mediated Phonon Dynamics in TaS2 and WSe2. Struct. Dyn. 2017, 4, 044019. (Invited, Special issue: Ultrafast Structural Dynamics - A Tribute to Ahmed H. Zewail, Featured Article)
- Plemmons, D. A.; Flannigan, D. J. Ultrafast Electron Microscopy: Instrument Response from the Single-Electron to High Bunch-Charge Regimes. Chem. Phys. Lett. 2017, 683, 186. (Invited, Special Issue: Ahmed Zewail (1946-2016) Commemoration Issue of Chemical Physics Letters)
- Adhikari, A.; Eliason, J. K.; Sun, J.; Bose, R.; Flannigan, D. J.*; Mohammed, O. F.* Four-dimensional Ultrafast Electron Microscopy: Insights into an Emerging Technique. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2017, 9, 3.
- Flannigan, D. J.; Cremons, D. R.; Valley, D. T. Multimodal Visualization of the Optomechanical Response of Silicon Cantilevers with Ultrafast Electron Microscopy. J. Mater. Res. 2017, 32, 239. (Invited, Special Issue: Early Career Scholars in Materials Science)
- Valley, D. T.; Ferry, V. E.; Flannigan, D. J. Imaging Intra- and Inter-Particle Acousto-Plasmonic Dynamics with Ultrafast Electron Microscopy. Nano Lett. 2016, 16, 7302.
- Schliep, K. B.; Chen, J.-Y.; Li, M.; Wang, J.-P.; Flannigan, D. J. Laser-Initiated Magnetization Reversal and Correlated Morphological Effects Visualized with In Situ Fresnel Transmission Electron Microscopy. Phys. Rev. B 2016, 94, 104407. (Featured in Physical Review B Kaleidoscope)
- Plemmons, D. A.; Flannigan, D. J. Discrete Chromatic Aberrations Arising from Photoinduced Electron-Photon Interactions in Ultrafast Electron Microscopy. J. Phys. Chem. A 2016, 120, 3539. (Cover article)
- Cremons, D. R.; Plemmons, D. A.; Flannigan, D. J. Femtosecond Electron Imaging of Defect-Modulated Phonon Dynamics. Nature Commun. 2016, 7, 11230.