- Mkhoyan earns Research Infrastructure Investment Program award
- CEMS researchers collaborate on groundbreaking work published in Nature
- Collaborative research published in Science
- Breakthrough collaborative research published in Nature Materials
- Wu wins APS Ovshinsky Student Travel Award
- Groundbreaking process for creating ultra-selective separation membranes published in Nature
- Mkhoyan receives 2016 Research Infrastructure Investment Program award
- Collaborative research featured as Physical Sciences Division Research Highlight
- Odlyzko and Wu win 2015 M&M Presidential Scholar awards
- CEMS researchers collaborate on groundbreaking work published in Science
- CEMS research team finds new method for 2D zeolites
The Mkhoyan Lab is an analytical electron microscopy lab where research at the atomic scale is daily routine. When materials are so small that measuring their dimensions and observing their behavior require atomic-level precision, experimental tools with the same atomic-scale sensitivity are essential. The technological developments in creating nanomaterials and in electron microscopy with ultra-high-resolution capabilities have in recent years been converging on a common objective, promising to open a new field of intriguing possibilities.
TEM and dedicated analytical (S)TEM have recently reached a major milestone. With the advent of lens aberration correction, microscopes now achieve sub-Angstrom resolution. In combination with quantitative spectroscopy these microscopes provide unprecedented experimental capabilities.
The study of these "very small" materials promises to pave the way to new discoveries about their properties and the physical processes occurring inside them. In our lab not only do we address puzzling questions about what happens to materials at this scale, but also we kindle the scientific imagination to anticipate new questions that have heretofore never occurred.
- Outstanding Postdoctoral Mentor Award, Minnesota Postdoctoral Association, 2015
- 3M Non-Tenured Faculty Award, 2010.
- 1. Y. Wang, J. Kim, R.J. Wu, J. Martinez, X. Song, J. Yang, F. Zhao, K.A. Mkhoyan, M. Chhowalla, “Van der Waals contact between three-dimensional metal and two-dimensional semiconductor”, Nature 568, 70 (2019).
- 2. J.S. Jeong, H. Song, J.T. Held, K. A. Mkhoyan, “Sub-atomic channeling and helicon-type beams in SrTiO3”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 122, 075501 (2019).
- 3. X. Ma, P. Kumar, N. Mittal, A. Khiyustova, P. Daoutidis, K. A. Mkhoyan, M. Tsapatsis, "Zeolitic imidazolate framework membranes made by ligand-induced permselectivation", Science 361, 1008 (2018).
- 4. M. DC, R. Grassi, J.Y. Chen, M. Jamali, D. Reifsnyder Hickey, D. Zhang, Z. Zhao, H. Li, P. Quarterman, Y. Lv, M. Li, A. A. Manchon, K. A. Mkhoyan, T. Low, J.P. Wang, “Room-temperature high spin-orbit torque due to quantum confindment in sputtered BixSe(1-x) films”, Nature Mater. 17, 800 (2018).
- 5. R. J. Wu, A. Mittal, M. L. Odlyzko, K. A. Mkhoyan, “Simplifying Electron Beam Channeling in Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (STEM)”, Microsc. Microanal. 23, 794 (2017).
- 6. M.Y. Jeon, D. Kim, P. Kumar, P.S. Lee, N. Rangnekar, P. Bai, M. Shete, B. Elyassi, H.S. Lee, K. Narasimharao, S.N. Basahel, S. Al-Thabaiti, W. Xu, H.J. Cho, E.O. Fetisov, R. Thyagarajan, R.F. DeJaco, W. Fan, K.A. Mkhoyan, J.I. Siepmann, M. Tsapatsis, “Ultra-selective high-flux membranes from direct synthesized zeolite nanosheets”, Nature 543, 690 (2017).
- 7. J. S. Jeong, M. Topsakal, P. Xu, B. Jalan, R. M. Wentzcovitch, K. A. Mkhoyan, “A New Line Defect in NdTiO3 Perovskite”, Nano Lett. 16, 6816 (2016).
- 8. H. Wang, J. Kally, J. S. Lee, T. Liu, H. Chang, D. Reifsnyder Hickey, K. A. Mkhoyan, M. Wu, A. Richardella, N. Samarth, “Surface-State-Dominated Spin-Charge Current Conversion in Topological-Insulator- ferromagnetic-Insulator Heterostructures”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 076601 (2016).
- 9. J. S. Jeong, M. L. Odlyzko, P. Xu, B. Jalan, K. A. Mkhoyan, “Probing electronic orbitals by scanning transmission electron microscopy and measuring the delocalization of core-level excitations”, Phys. Rev. B 93, 165140 (2016).
- 10. P. Kumar, K. V. Agrawal, M. Tsapatsis, K. A. Mkhoyan, "Quantification of thickness and wrinkling of exfoliated two-dimensional zeolite nanosheets", Nature Commun. 6, 7128 (2015).
- 11. L. Zhang, Y. Meng, W. Yang, L. Wang, W.L. Mao, Q.-S. Zeng, J.S. Jeong, A.J. Wagner, K.A. Mkhoyan, W. Liu, R. Xu, and H.-K. Mao, “Disproportionation of (Mg,Fe)SiO3 into MgSiO3 Perovskite and an Fe-rich Hexagonal Silicate in the Deep Lower Mantle”, Science 344, 877 (2014).
- 12. K. Varoon, X. Zhang, B. Elyassi, D.D. Brewer, M. Gettel, S. Kumar, J.A. Lee, S. Maheshwari, A. Mittal, C.-Y. Sung, M. Cococcioni, L.F. Francis, A.V. McCormick, K.A. Mkhoyan, and M. Tsapatsis, “Dispersible Exfoliated Zeolite Nanosheets and Their Application as a Selective Membrane”, Science 334, 72 (2011).