Our research in the area of process systems engineering lies at the intersection of chemical engineering and operations research. Leveraging the power of mathematical modeling and optimization, we develop enabling technologies that enhance decision making in complex engineering systems. In particular, our work focuses on solving problems of scientific and industrial interest in the following areas:
- process modeling and optimization
- design of integrated process and energy systems
- planning and scheduling
- network and supply chain optimization
- mixed-integer linear/nonlinear programming
- large-scale optimization
- decision making under uncertainty
- Mark Dennis Karl Teaching Assistant Award (2014, 2016)
- Geoffrey Hewitt Prize (2012)
- Dr. Jürgen Ulderup Fellowship (2011)
- DAAD ISAP Fellowship (2009)
- Zhang, Q., Sundaramoorthy, A., Grossmann, I. E., & Pinto, J. M. (2017). Multiscale Production Routing in Multicommodity Supply Chains with Complex Production Facilities. Computers & Operations Research, 79, 207-222.
- Zhang, Q. & Grossmann, I. E. (2016). Enterprise-wide Optimization for Industrial Demand Side Management: Fundamentals, Advances, and Perspectives. Chemical Engineering Research & Design, 116, 114-131.
- Zhang, Q., Lima, R. M., & Grossmann, I. E. (2016). On the Relation Between Flexibility Analysis and Robust Optimization for Linear Systems. AIChE Journal, 62(9), 3109-3123.
- Zhang, Q., Morari, M. F., Grossmann, I. E., Sundaramoorthy, A., & Pinto, J. M. (2016). An Adjustable Robust Optimization Approach to Scheduling of Continuous Industrial Processes Providing Interruptible Load. Computers & Chemical Engineering, 86, 106-119.
- Zhang, Q., Grossmann, I. E., Sundaramoorthy, A., & Pinto, J. M. (2016). Data-driven Construction of Convex Region Surrogate Models. Optimization & Engineering, 17(2), 289-332.
- Zhang, Q., Grossmann, I. E., Heuberger, C. F., Sundaramoorthy, A., & Pinto, J. M. (2015). Air Separation with Cryogenic Energy Storage: Optimal Scheduling Considering Electric Energy and Reserve Markets. AIChE Journal, 61(5), 1547-1558.
- Zhang, Q., Shah, N., Wassick, J., Helling, R., & Van Egerschot, P. (2014). Sustainable Supply Chain Optimisation: An Industrial Case Study. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 74, 68-83.