Poerschke's research seeks to understand the evolution of materials in complex chemical, thermal, and mechanical environments. Combining experimental observations with theoretical models, he develops design-performance frameworks to accelerate the development of new materials offering improved performance. His past efforts have lead to the development of improved ceramic coatings for use in jet engines and provided new understanding of the life-limiting oxidation processes in ceramic composites for turbine engine and hypersonic vehicle applications. Poerschke is an active member of the American Ceramics Society, and serves as a contributing editor for NIST-ACerS Phase Equilibria Diagrams Database.
- NDSEG Fellowship 2009-2011
- Poerschke, D.L., R.W. Jackson, and C.G. Levi. "Silicate Deposit Degradation of Engineered Coatings in Gas Turbines: Progress Toward Models and Materials Solutions". An. Rev. Mat. Res. (2017).
- Poerschke, D.L., M.N. Rossol and F.W. Zok. "Intermediate temperature oxidative strength degradation of a SiC/SiNC composite with a polymer-derived matrix" J. Am. Cer. Soc., 100 1606–1617 (2017).
- Poerschke, D.L., T.L. Barth, O. Fabrichnaya and C.G. Levi. "Phase Equilibria and Crystal Chemistry in the Calcia-Silica-Yttria System" J. Eur. Cer. Soc. 36 1743-1754 (2016)
- Poerschke, D.L., M.D. Novak, N. Abdul-Jabbar, S. Kramer, C.G. Levi. "Selective Active Oxidation in Hafnium Boride-Silicon Carbide Composites above 2000C," J. Eur. Cer. Soc. 36 3697-3707 (2016).
- Poerschke, D.L., M.N. Rossol and F.W. Zok. "Intermediate temperature internal oxidation of a SiC/SiCN composite with a polymer derived matrix" J. Am. Cer. Soc. (2016)
- Poerschke, D.L. and C.G. Levi. "Effects of cation substitution and temperature on the interaction between thermal barrier oxides and molten CMAS" J. Eur. Cer. Soc. 35 681-691 (2015).