We are concerned with describing the fundamental optical and electronic properties of organic and hybrid organic-inorganic semiconductor systems. We ultimately seek to exploit the unique properties of these materials to create novel electronic and optoelectronic devices. This interdisciplinary work involves elements of physics, chemistry, materials science and electrical engineering. Of particular focus is the improvement of organic and perovskite solar cells, organic light-emitting devices, and organic lasers.
- Horace T. Morse - UMN Alumni Association Award for Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Education
- ASM Bradley Stoughton Award for Young Teachers
- College of Science and Engineering Outstanding Teacher Award
- Institute on Renewable Energy and the Environment (IREE) Young Faculty Award
- 3M Nontenured Faculty Award
- “Crystal morphology and growth in annealed rubrene thin films,” T.R. Fielitz and R.J. Holmes, Cryst. Growth and Des., 16, 4720 (2016).
- “Role of impurities in determining the exciton diffusion length in organic semiconductors,” I.J. Curtin, D.W. Blaylock, and R.J. Holmes, Appl. Phys. Lett., 108, 163301 (2016).
- “Exciton Transport in an Organic Semiconductor Exhibiting Thermally Activated Delayed Fluorescence,” S.M. Menke and R.J. Holmes, J. Phys. Chem. C, 120, 8502 (2016).
- “Evaluating the Role of Energetic Disorder and Thermal Activation in Exciton Transport,” S.M. Menke and R.J. Holmes, J. Mater. Chem. C, 4, 3437 (2016).
- "Temperature‐Dependent Bias Poling and Hysteresis in Planar Organo‐Metal Halide Perovskite Photovoltaic Cells," Y. Zou, R.J. Holmes, Advanced Energy Materials, Early View (2016).
- "Effect of Rapid Pressurization on the Solubility of Small Organic Molecules," N.T. Morgan, T.C. Frank, R.J. Holmes, E.L. Cussler, Crystal Growth & Design, 16, 1404 (2016).
- "Relating photocurrent, photovoltage, and charge carrier density to the recombination rate in organic photovoltaic cells," T.K. Mullenbach, R.J. Holmes, Applied Physics Letters 107, 123303 (2015).
- "Correlation between the Open-Circuit Voltage and Charge Transfer State Energy in Organic Photovoltaic Cells," Y. Zou and R.J. Holmes, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 7, 18306 (2015).
- "Mechanism for the separation of organic semiconductors via thermal gradient sublimation," N.T. Morgan, Y. Zhang, M.L. Grandbois, B.M. Bell, R.J. Holmes, and E.L. Cussler, Org. Electron., 24, 212 (2015).
- "The role of exciton ionization processes in bulk heterojunction organic photovoltaic cells," Y. Zou and R.J. Holmes, Adv. Energy Mater., 5, 1500019 (2015).
- "Directing Energy Transport in Organic Photovoltaic Cells Using Interfacial Exciton Gates," S.M. Menke, T.K. Mullenbach and R.J. Holmes, ACS Nano, 9, 4543 (2015).
- "Energy-Cascade Organic Photovoltaic Devices Incorporating a Host–Guest Architecture," S.M. Menke and R.J. Holmes, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 7, 2912 (2015).
- "Engineering efficiency roll-off in organic light-emitting devices," N.C. Erickson and R.J. Holmes, Adv. Func. Mater., 24, 6074 (2014).
- "Investigating the Role of Emissive Layer Architecture on the Exciton Recombination Zone in Organic Light-Emitting Devices," N.C. Erickson and R.J. Holmes, Adv. Func. Mater., 23, 5190 (2013)
- "Tailored exciton diffusion in organic photovoltaic cells for enhanced power conversion efficiency," S.M. Menke, W.A. Luhman, R. J. Holmes, Nature Materials, 12, 152 (2013)
- "Long-range, photon-mediated exciton hybridization in an all-organic, one-dimensional photonic crystal," G.H. Lodden and R.J. Holmes, Phys. Rev. Lett., 109, 096401 (2012).